Silver plated, gilded and signed.
A magnificent and highly decorative shell shaped biscuit box, with a wonderful naturalistic formed frame in the form of tree branches. The box when opened reveals a splendid two compartment box each with a pierced grill with the interior of the shells beautifully gilded.
Dating to around 1880, this wonderful piece is made by the highly sought-after top-notch silversmith, Fenton Brothers and is also marked Staniforth's Patent.
The Fenton Brothers firm was established in 1875 at South Moor Works, East Street, Sheffield by John Frederick Fenton and Frank Fenton. Manufacturer of both sterling silver and silver plated wares. Folding biscuit boxes were a popular item.
Dimensions: 25x 35 cm